1791 WORKHOUSE TO 21ST CENTURY HOSPITAL
Founded in 1954, the League of Friends is a Registered Charity (No. 208708) committed to supporting the hospital and GPs in delivering excellent standards of treatment and care to the local community.
The present building (a PFI Initiative) was opened by HRH The Countess of Wessex in 2004 following a complete rebuild of the hospital. The hospital is a one stop shop for the local community and incorporates, three GP practices, a Renal Dialysis Unit, Inpatient beds including Stroke Rehabilitation, a Day Assessment Unit, a full range of Outpatient services, Speech and Language Therapy, Physiotherapy, Children's Services, Occupational Therapy, Wheelchair Services, X-ray, District Nurses, Health Visitors,Day Services for people with Eating Disorders, Diabetic Retinopathy Services, Specialist Dental Care, Cafeteria and Pharmacy.
The new 21st century building replaced many older buildings, some of which incorporated the original workhouse. The workhouse moved from the centre of Farnham in the late 18th century. Eden in his 1797 survey of the poor in England, reported of Farnham - "the Poor are farmed in a Workhouse, built in 1791, on a good plan and stands in an excellent situation about half a mile from the town."
Further information and photos can be viewed at: http://tinyurl.com/FarnhamHospital
- 1846 - Farnham and the adjacent Gilbert Parish of Aldershot and Bentley were persuaded to adopt Poor Law Union status under the 1834 Act and together formed the new Farnham Poor Law Union.
- A number of additions were made including two infirmary blocks, one at the south of the workhouse in around 1870, and the other at the east in around 1900.
- 1930 - the Unions ceased and became County areas under the control of the appropriate local authority.
- 1948 - following the NHS Act the Farnham Group of Hospitals was formed with Farnham as the main hospital.
- April 1974 - the Farnham Group of Hospitals became West Surrey and North East Hampshire Health District in the Surrey Health Authority area.
- 1974 - Frimley Park Hospital was opened to provide improved services for the area - Farnham at this time took on a new role with their casualty services transferring to Frimley Park Hospital.
- 1993 - the Community Health Units of South West Surrey Health Authority and West Surrey and North East Hampshire merged to become North Downs Community Health NHS Trust.
- 1998 - A public consultation document "The Right Balance" was produced proposing better health services and a secure future for Farnham Hospital. Plans for the new Farnham Hospital and Centre for Health were designed and developed.
- 2001 - the new build began.
- 2003 - Guildford and Waverley PCT opened the current facilities at Farnham Hospital and Centre for Health - the inpatients transferring one October Saturday morning from the old hospital to their new en-suite rooms.
- 2004 - formal opening by HRH the Countess of Wessex.
- 2012 - Farnham Hospital and Centre for Health becomes part of VirginCare.
"Supporting the Hospital since 1954"